Over his 40 years of practice, Louisiana-educated attorney Michael Mestayer has litigated cases in 11 states, but still prefers to call New Orleans home. His commitment to the highest ethical standards of his profession is evident in the many leadership positions he has held in national, state and local bar associations, and the high regard of his peers.
As an Associate Professor of Law at Tulane Law School, Mr. Mestayer trains law students in the proper practice of law to obtain the best results for their clients. In addition, as a frequent lecturer in admiralty matters, product liability claims, ethics, and professionalism, he shares his years of experience with others in the legal field.
- 1976 Louisiana, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana and U.S. Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit
- 1978, U.S. District Court, Western District of Louisiana
- 1980, U.S. Supreme Court; 1983, U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
- Tulane University of Louisiana, J.D.
- Louisiana State University and A & M College, B.S., magna cum laude
- New Orleans Bar Association; President, New Orleans Bar Association Inn of Court, 2005-2011
- Louisiana State Bar Association; Member: Insurance, Negligence, Compensation and Admiralty Law Sections
- Federal Bar Association
- American Bar Association; Member, Tort and Insurance Practice Section
- American Bar Association; Member, Litigation Section
- Bar Association of the 5th Federal Circuit
- American Association for Justice
- Louisiana Association for Justice
- Maritime Law Association of the United States
- Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute
- Louisiana Bar Foundation, Fellow
- American Bar Foundation.
- American Inns of Court; President, NOBA Chapter 2005-2011
- "Maritime Personal Injury: The Jones Act: an Overview," The Maritime Lawyer, Fall, 1979.
Scholastic memberships, honors and publications:
- Phi Kappa Phi
- Phi Alpha Delta
- Phi Eta Sigma
- Beta Gamma Sigma
- Order of the Coif
- Board of Student Editors, Tulane Law Review, 1974-1976.
- Recipient: AmJur Award, Damages
- Freshman Civil Procedure Award
- Author: "Admiralty-Wrongful Death-Estate of Deceased Seaman and Non Dependent Relatives not Proper Beneficiaries to Recover Loss of Prospective Inheritance under General Maritime Law," 50 Tulane Law Review 151, 1975.
Michael J. Mestayer, a Professional Legal Corporation is located in New Orleans and litigates for plaintiffs in admiralty law, products liability and personal injury cases throughout Louisiana and the Gulf Region